With Love and Squalor

No, scratch that. Only squalor applies here in the world of student architecture, where even coffee from 7-11 counts as a 'quality' stimulant. So this is what it comes down to, empty sushi packaging, Maccas and painkillers for what is presumably the overwhelming burden of expectation. I took this a couple of weeks back during one of my day night sessions in the labs and I'm not too surprised I managed to generate this much mess over lunch and dinner. I guess the world is right when they accuse us of being the worst polluters per capita.

The offending photograph in question was taken at my favourite spot in 516, the computer in the far corner of the room next to the window. I like it because it has plenty of natural light and space I can stare out into, plus having one less computer next to me means there's one less opportunity that I'll be annoyed by the person next to me. I know that sounds harsh but deal with it. Aside from food there's a book I was reading at the time, "Atlas of Novel Tectonics" which I'm considering buying over the interwebs just because it has a really cool cover. As the lady judge on Iron Chef might say, "Oooh, the texture!" On top of the book are my iPod, painkillers and student access card which I keep face down for a very good reason - my evil alter ego lives there. It's not my fault the girl who took my photo in first year didn't give a shit, and because of her I'm stuck with it for the remainder of my uni career. Interestingly enough, the painkillers I've been taking are recommended for "Headaches, back pain, muscle pain and period pain". That'll learn me for watching that episode of Gossip Girl.

I've come to accept the terms of my workload. Time is some sort of luxury that I cannot afford, but that only applies during the final 24 hours before something is due. Though surprisingly for an assignment we managed to get it done the day before, which must've been some sort of minor miracle worthy of church and press coverage. Actually we finished it early because we got an extension for our other subject all thanks to classmates who were doing a vastly more difficult subject. Bless each and every one of them, I say.

The not so funny thing about that assignment was that two of my friends who could've easily worked together were instead working with other people just because they got asked first. In both cases, each respective partner seemingly did as little work as possible while my friends did all the heavy lifting. And these were the friends who had the insanely difficult subject too. In the end we agreed they should have fobbed their partners off and let them outcasts work together. At least that way it'd become a contest to see who could do the least work.

On the upside, I was meant to go into uni tomorrow to work on a group project but my partner bailed on me at the last second... so I get to stay home! When I was telling my sister I ended up doing some sort of weird dance where I kept on chanting "homehomehomehomehome!" several times over. The thing is,  I really like being at home. It's not only where the heart is,  all my stuff is here too. I really really like my stuff.

As I've become annoyed at beginning each other post with an apology for not posting more often, said apology wil now come at the end of every post. Forgiveness, please!

3 comments:

  1. Azishkra'elhykai Mizamel said...

    FORGIVEN!

  2. krntsng said...

    I suppose, if people are still reading your blog, it means it's interesting enough to keep us coming back... I don't get the apology?

  3. Justin said...

    I don't know if this thing allows you to see my reply, let me know if it does.

    Yea I have no idea if people still read this, apart from a circle of close friends who drop by once every so often. Coincidentally, thanks for dropping by.

    I write a lot of this for myself so I can see what I was thinking in years past, though I suppose I keep the super personal stuff off limits. If others find it interesting enough to keep coming back every so often, I'll take that as a compliment.