Lil' Bhaj


One of my goldfish died the other day. I know they're not meant to live all that long but it's weird all the same. As a family we grew pretty attached to it, possibly because we gave them all names and personalities. The fact my sister and I named most of them after cricketers is neither here nor there, we're still waiting for Whitey (also the name of one of my external hard drives...) to get back into the test squad. This one was named Bhaji after a certain foul tempered Indian spinner. He won my 'Fish of the Month' award several months running, though he could never comprehend the trophy presentation ceremony. We ended up burying him in the backyard under the lemon tree. I've been to friends' places where their considerably larger, more tangible pets have been buried in their backyards and the feeling is still similar for some reason. Lousy emotional attachment.

The parents went out a couple of weeks later and bought a couple of new tiny fish since they reckoned the three remaining ones were starting to look sad or bored. One of them is the same sort of breed and the other is a sort of black and gold colour. We made an agreement that we wouldn't name them until they actually lived for more than a month or so, but I've started calling one of them Baby Bhaji... and so the cycle begins again.

**********

It's almost the end of the month and I've been pretty quiet on the blogging front, what with the new semester and all. It took me until week three to truly feel like I'm in the second semester, such was the hangover of the first semester. All it took were a couple of near all nighters to get me started again, and thanks to first semester I no longer require what most people refer to as sleep (since it's so overrated) so I can work a lot more effectively. One of the unintended side effects of that semester is that I'm fairly used to putting a few more hours into work so I'm managing to keep on top of things for now. Of course I'm still as lazy as hell and I didn't help myself when I bought Civilisation for my iPod. So long productivity, greetings turn based strategy!

If you've bothered reading this far, thank you once again... I shall reward you with a random factoid that will only make sense to last semester's survivor group.
 - The following words will hereby be excised from my vocabulary: compelling, dilemma.
 - The following words will be given additional precedence: idle, hammer.
Something tells me I've missed a couple of words here and there.

1 comments:

  1. PsychPeter said...

    Oh the 1 that wouldn't eat @ my place ><. Such a handful yet so lively.