Question TIme

I had two exams this semester. Well, one really since Environmental Systems doesn't really count. You fill out your name, tick some boxes and leave the room. Your H1 will be forwarded to you shortly. To the best of my recollection, one of the questions on my other exam paper last semester went a little like this.

There are three staff members, aka 'resources' who are rated for overall availability and work efficiency at three defined tasks. Two of them, one male and one female are white and the other is an Asian male. This is where every stereotype you can imagine kicks in. Predictably the Asian guy is available for longer and is generally more efficient at most tasks, in stark comparison to the local resources who rate at around 75%. The funniest part is probably where the woman is particularly inefficient at one task, running at about 40%. In one question, the lecturer has unintentionally (or perhaps not?) managed to create a racist and sexist exam question more controversial than a bucket of fried chicken. I suppose you could refuse to answer the question based on your individual moral outrage, or you might just not know how to answer it and made this bull up on the spot.

But as far as uni is concerned, laughing time is over for the time being. I'm doing a summer semester subject in a field I know next to nothing about so I really should start doing some of the readings to try and make some sense out of them before this subject comes around to kick my arse. Let's hope things go well in this subject, given my track record for decision making last year wasn't anything worth writing home about.

I'm looking forward to this year since it'll be my final year. The other day I was reminded that it's been more than six years since I left Box Hill and it's really surprising how time has passed. It certainly doesn't help looking at how the school's changed through YouTube videos of teachers being waxed for charity, or so they claim. While that certainly looks painful, I got distracted by seeing how the quad looks nothing like how I remember it. Still it'll be great not having to deal with the education system after this year, I just hope 25 years of education qualifies me for a position in office lackey work and acting barista for clients. Here's to 2010, if things don't work out I guess we still have 2012 to look forward to.

As the old saying goes, I'm not too old for this shit.

0 comments: