Time to make a post in a timely manner. It was Record Store Day last Saturday and who am I to say no?  

Personally I prefer buying CDs over digital downloads. Although downloads are quick and easy for instant gratification when you want that quick fix (curse you, Bieber!), I still find there's something tangible about the casing and the sleeve art that makes CDs worthwhile. Secondly I like collecting them in an obsessive compulsive manner, so I'll often end up buying as many discs as I can afford. And on occasions such as these I'll buy more than I can afford.

Stuff to sort. Bypass the stack!

I ended up buying stuff from Elvis Costello and Gossip on CD and a remastered recording of Derek and The Dominoes' Layla on vinyl. The resurgence of vinyl is so strong that you can buy some shocking things in this medium now. I once saw a copy of the Katy Perry album in vinyl form and wondered if the autotune on 'Hot and Cold' was that much richer and fulfilling. Funny how Russell Brand's comments on pop stars overdosing on drugs to prevent them making bad music clearly shows he has no sense of irony at all.

On a somewhat related note, today on the tram I overheard someone saying they used to work for JB HiFi and how the staff discount sold them stock at wholesale price. I've wasted half my life not working for these guys.

0 comments: